In The Beginning...

In The Beginning...
Before it all began

Saturday, October 23, 2010

An Unexpected Adventure Begins

I really, really, wanted to build a Teardrop Trailer, or "TD", as they are often called on the Internet forums that cater to people who are into them.  Honestly, though, I have never seen a TD in real life - only on the Internet.  But that doesn't really matter.  I saw them on-line, and I fell in love with them.  You can see them too at Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers, or at such sites as  Teardrop Trailer Project,  or even Kuffel Creek Teardrops. They are just so darned cute you can't help but want to build one.

But then, life intervened. My wife, Cheryl, - always supportive of anything that I want to do, no matter how silly, goofy, outlandish, or expensive it may honestly seem to her at the time - decided that I really didn't want a Teardrop. She knew that what I wanted was a Tiny Travel Trailer that I could stand up in, go to the potty in, and even cook in. It's just amazing how she always knows what I really want, even when I don't! I guess that after nearly 45 years, she actually does know me pretty well.

Cheryl started looking on Craig's List several times a day for a small camping trailer that would enable me and our 9-year-old grandson, Max, to travel a bit and do some camping and fishing, and the three of us to spend in luxury for a few weekends at campgrounds with "facilities". I, of course, wanted no part of this, because a Teardrop was what we really needed, even though it was not really likely that she and I could sleep in a trailer that was not as wide as the two of us together. But, let's not go there.

But, wouldn't you just know it....she found a 1969 Shasta Compact for only $750.00 (reduced from $900.00) on Craig's List, and it was only a few miles away. And, the darned picture actually made it look pretty nice. A little on-line research informed me that the trailer's cabin dimensions were only 10 feet long by 6.6 feet wide on the outside. Very small, almost like a Teardrop! And then I found the Vintage Shasta Trailer Forum. I was hooked. These things have a real cult following, and they are just so darned cute! I had to go look at it.

We called the owner and set up a time to see it. One look, and I was a goner. This trailer had everything I would ever need (except a bathroom). Even though there had been a serious roof leak, the basic trailer seemed very sound. It had a stove and a refrigerator. The stove worked, but the fridge was untested by the current, but short-term, owner. The 120 volt and 12 volt lights worked. Just add a porta-potty, and it was usable! Tear out the interior and customize it a bit, and it would be amazing! So, I bought it. $700.00. What a deal! I towed it home that day, even without a license plate!

Of course, the trailer was 41 years old. Obviously, she would have a few problems that would need fixed. Even I was amazed at what those problems entailed. I'll fill you in on my next post.

1 comment:

  1. I, like you, really, really want a teardrop! I wanted my hubby and I to have this wonderful bonding experience building it. HE, however, was the one who said I didn't want one! "Did you forget that we have 2 boys, 10 & 9 years old?" "Well, of course not. I am sure they would be quite happy in a tent", I replied. After all, we are outdoors people, and the only reason we are not tenting anymore, is because my husband had back surgery a couple of years ago, and he needs a real mattress. I solved the problem! NOT! Presently we have our eye on a '69, 16 foot, sleeps 4! something - or - other....lady said "Rambler" but i cant find out much about it on the internet. I will never admit he is right. Maybe when we retire we will have 2 trailers! (or more) 1- a teardrop. Good luck with your project. It looks like a gem. Keep posting & thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete